Migraines are a common chronic disease, more frequent in women than in men. The most characteristic symptom are recurring severe headaches (episodically on a regular basis). Migraine attacks are often accompanied by photo and phonofobia, nausea and vomiting, and, less frequently, vertigo.
Migraine Treatment in Israel
Migraine attacks are caused by stress, nervous or physical overexertion, alcohol consumption, insufficient sleep, or weather changes. Recurring migraines could be indicative of circulatory disturbances, hypertension, hormonal imbalances, eye problems and brain tumours. This is why an extensive workup is needed before a migraine treatment protocol can be prescribed. It will include the following investigations:
- Blood workup (including hormone levels)
- Brain MRI scan
- Neck MRI scan
- Eye fundus exam and ophthalmologist exam
- 24-hour Holter monitor
- Neck Doppler US scan
- Transcranial US Doppler scan
- Neuropathologist exam
- Optional: Spinal surgeon’s exam
- Optional: Coagulation factors (blood analysis)
The aforementioned exams will take 5 business days to complete and will take at place at one of Israel’s most reputable medical centers – Sheba Tel HaShomer.
- Please note that the some of the lab test results will only be ready after 14-20 days. You do not have to stay in Israel for all that period. You will be able to travel home once the diagnostic stage in complete, and we will forward you the remaining results and treatment recommendations when they become available.
- Please also note that in some cases it’s possible to determine the diagnosis before the entire array of investigations have been completed. In such event the remaining investigations won’t be required and you won't be charged for them.