Founded in 1919 by Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, Hadassah Medical Center (AKA Hadassah Hospital) now includes two campuses: Ein Kerem and Mount Scopus (Har HaTsofim). It also, in cooperation with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, operates schools of medicine and dentistry, responsible for training some of Israel’s top specialists. It is considered to be one of Israel’s most prestigious higher education institutions. Hadassah is an associate member of the AHA (American Hospital Association).
At present the center employs over 850 specialists and treats over half a million patients annually. It performed over 33 thousand operations in 2015 alone. The two campuses combined have more than 1100 beds, 31 operating theaters, and 9 specialized intensive care units. In 2005 Hadassah's campuses were nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for “compliance with the standards of equality in treatment of patients of all nationalities” and it’s contribution to “promotion of peaceful coexistence of nations”.
Hadassah Medical Center considers excellence in research as one of it top goals. In line with this it houses cutting-edge research facilities, which allow its hospitals to run clinical studies. It’s no accident that the first kidney transplant, the first computer-assisted hip replacement, the first bone marrow transplantation, the first double bypass surgery, as well as the first IVF and PGD procedures in Israel all took place at the Hadassah hospitals.
The multi-layered approach, which combines tested and innovative therapeutical methods helped make Hadassah Medical Center into a world-class health services provider, which delivers medical care of the highest quality to patients from all over the world.